What is a Bed Wedge Pillow?
A Bed Wedge Pillow is a triangular shaped pillow made from foam which allows you to position your body on an incline for comfortable sleeping. It is popular for a range of medical conditions and for post surgery support. Bed Wedge Support Pillows can come in many foam grades including standard foam and memory foam.
Why use a Bed Wedge Pillow?
Sleeping with a Bed Wedge Support Pillow offers a great deal of support to your neck and shoulders as well as proving relief from health issues such as acid reflux and heartburn. Bed Wedges are often used to stop nasty, future, medical complications arising.
How to use a Bed Wedge / Acid Reflux Pillow?
A bed wedge pillow can be used in three ways although the first is the most popular use.
- Simply place your Bed Wedge under your pillow for a comfortable inclined sleeping position.
- Place the Bed Wedge at the bottom of your bed to raise and support your legs providing relief to swollen ankles or tired feet.
- Alternatively you can use your Bed Wedge Pillow in an upright position, flat against your headboard or wall, as an ergonomic back support. Perfect for watching TV or reading while in bed.
What is a bed wedge used for?
There are a number of conditions that a Bed Wedge Pillow can be used for including:
- Acid Reflux (GERD/GORD)
- Heartburn and Indigestion
- Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)
- Snoring reduction
- Shoulder Surgery
- Hiatus hernia (Oesophagitis)
- Esophageal Motility
- Respiratory problems
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Varicose veins (when wedge is placed under feet)
- Swollen ankles (when wedge is placed under feet)
- Phlebitis (when wedge is placed under feet)
- Oedema (when wedge is placed under feet)
Can a Bed Wedge pillow help with snoring?
In short, the answer is Yes!
The elevated position that the Bed Wedge Pillow allows you to achieve helps to prevent the muscles in your throat and upper airway from collapsing while you sleep, therefore helping to reduce snoring.
Underlying causes of snoring should always be addressed by a doctor, but a Bed Wedge Pillow will almost certainly greatly reduce you and your partners sleep interruption.
What size Bed Wedge is best for acid reflux?
Scientific papers and journals point to a 6" elevation at the top of the bed. The gentle incline allows gravity to do its job whilst also still being comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep.
The Putnam bed Wedge range is designed to align with the 6" elevation as proven in scientific studies.
A Bed Wedge Pillow will elevate your head while sleeping and aid with relief from Heartburn, Acid Reflux, GERD, GORD, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) and similar medical conditions. The symptoms of these conditions all result from acid seeping upwards during sleep when laying flat, therefore the inclined bed wedge pillow is a fantastic solution.
What is the best Acid Reflux Pillow?
The best acid reflux pillow should:
- Meet British fire standards BS5852 (this is a legal requirement and a life or death necessity).
- Be made from CertiPUR® foam (foam that has undergone a voluntary testing, analysis and certification programme for the environment, health and safety properties of polyurethane foam used in bedding and upholstered furniture applications).
- Come with a removable washable cover included for hygiene reasons.
- Have a lengthy guarantee as some cheaper models do not last more than a few months.
- Not be too high or too low, if your wedge is too high (too steep) you will not be able to sleep as it will feel like you are sat upright. Too low and the wedge will not give any benefit. A scientific paper by The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2015 acknowledged that "SERD [supraesophageal reflux disease] frequently occurs in the supine position and that 6 inches of head-of-bed elevation is effective in reducing supine SERD." Ideally find a wedge that is 6" in height.
The Putnams range of bed wedges meet all of the above criteria whilst also being recommended by the NHS, esophageal specialists and the Oesophageal Patients Association (OPA (a registered charity specialising in oesophageal cancers and related conditions)).
Where to buy a Bed Wedge Pillow?
Putnams supply a range of Bed Wedge Pillows. Our collection of Bed Wedges are available to purchase on our website. Please see below for all the products we manufacture in this category.
We are also happy to take an order for a Bed Wedge Pillow over the telephone, simply call 01752 345678.
Putnams also have a showroom in Plymouth, Devon where you can view and purchase any of the Bed Wedge products. We would also be happy to point you in the right direction of our many stockists throughout the UK.
What our customers have to say!
In total our bed wedge range has over 200+ reviews which are available to read on all product pages. Here are just a handful of comments from our happy customers:
"I don't usually do reviews - but this wedge has made such a difference!! I bought the one with the memory foam. It's really comfortable and I get a good nights sleep. I've no need for Gaviscon or prescription drugs from the doctor. Would fully recommend this to any acid reflux sufferers!"
"No problem with acid reflux since buying this product and it supports my back"
"This has been a life saver for us after the operation for oesophageal cancer. What a good night sleep now with no acid reflux"
"Excellent product - does exactly what is designed for. No acid reflux since using"
A couple more things:
Our most popular Bed Wedge Pillow starts from just £59.66, great value for money to achieve a good nights sleep and to stop the development of any future nasty complications. The wedge is available in different widths to suit your preference.
If you would prefer to tilt the whole of your mattress into an inclined position to provide relief from the effects of Acid Reflux then why not consider purchasing the Bed Wedge Full Mattress Tilter. Since launching this product, we have been amazed by how popular it has become and the fabulous feedback that we have received.
If you would like any advice regarding our Bed Wedge products, please do not hesitate to give us a call on 01752 345678 or email us email@example.com
We will be happy to help!